Greetings!

I'm currently gathering information that helps software in assessing the
user's context. One very important such data would be the application
that the user is currently working with which mostly is roughly
equivalent to the name of the window that has the focus. Unfortunately
I'm at a loss even about which API to ask for this information. As
personally I am using compiz as a window manager, I'd be glad if anybody
here could tell me about a way to get this information out of compiz,
preferably without modifications to its code. If alternatively someone
knows about ways to do this at a higher level (freedesktop, X, ...), I'd
be happy about any hint.

Many thanks in advance and best regards,

Christian Mertes