I answer to Majestyx, comment #37: I was in your exact situation and I
workarounded the problem simply removing the file
/etc/alternatives/x-cursor-theme; after that I also noticed that some other
problems disappeared (i.e. the cursor theme wasn't always the same in every
application, but somewhere was the default one specified in
/etc/alternatives/x-cursor-theme, and somewhere was the theme I had choosen).
It seems to me that somewhere the /etc/alternatives/x-cursor-theme is
predominant; but if this is the case, how can a user change it without
administrative rights? I mean, when you change your PC appearance (your theme)
you do it without administrative rights, so how can you possibly hope to change
the /etc/alternatives/x-cursor-theme content?

--
Cannot change mouse cursor theme when compiz is enabled
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/459647