I have tested with a Dell mini 9 hooked on an external 1600x1200
monitor.

The display resolution of the dell mini 9 is 1204x600

When I use the gnome display setting and I try to set a configuration
that is not supported (size is too high), I am being warned to choose a
lower resolution for the external monitor. For a system, like the Dell
mini 9, this works fine as I can't expect such a system to have the
resources to drive Unity on an external monitor with 1600x1200
resolution.

I then used xrandr to configure the displays. With xrandr i got similar
results as mentioned in #33. I could get Unity to work with xrandr
provided the external display resolution isn't too high. Xrandr worked
fine for an external resolution of 1024x768. For an external resolution
of 1152x864, the rendering of the display was very slow, which suggest a
software mode. Note that gnome display setting prevent me from setting
an external resolution of 1152x864.

>From a user perspective, the preferred display configuration tool is the
gnome display setting. From my experience, it produces the expected
results.

As for using xrandr directly and activating the "Copy to Texture" plugin
in Compiz, this solution cannot work with Unity for external resolution
that are too high. As state in #32, it would only work fine with
standalone Compiz. Unity has no support for the "Copy to Texture" plugin
and cannot be expected to work.

I think the "Copy to Texture" plugin should be deactivated and users
should use the gnome display setting as there preferred display setting
tool.

Xrandr, does the job of configuring the display resolution. But without
any knowledge of the desktop environment memory requirements it cannot
check the ability of the system to support a certain resolution. Yet, it
is very useful tool as a low level display configuration utility.

--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of compiz
packagers, which is subscribed to compiz in Ubuntu.

Title:
  [Intel N10 Graphics] Need Compiz' "Copy to Texture" plugin so can
  display on multi-head layouts bigger than the max GL texture size