On Wed, 29 Aug 2007, Kore Nordmann wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 12:05 +0200, Raymond Bosman wrote:
> >
> > Problem
> > -------
> > In a system with lots of nested templates or template overrides the amount
> > of
> > variables that need to be forwarded to each template may grow out of
> > proportion.
>
> Didn't we "invent" this mechanism exactly to make the available
> variables more user visible? And wouldn't all the solutions bypass this
> explicit declarations, no matter which of the options you choose?
>
> I personally don't really like to change this.

Neither do I. And I think that *if* we're going to add something like
this, it needs to be perfectly clear were variables come from.

In case 1, it's absolute not clear - the variables just trickle down
to a lower scope. The comment "Where the variables come from is not
important." is sortof directly against the principle of knowing where
the variables come from. Cases 2 and 3 are just variants. I don't also
quite see in which programming language this behavior exists.

In case 4/5 the global/external keyword makes it clear where the
variables come from, but then again - globals are ugly as well. So
perhaps we should see how this can be dealt with correctly in an
application instead.

regards,
Derick