The other thing I'm trying todo is get the system to automatically maintain
various headers during GET requests.

Like testing/accessing any request variables not from the url, (Accept-*, or
cookies) means you have to add it to the response Vary header.
Accessing cookies, like seeing if the user is logged in, probably means to
send Cache-Control: private header.

Also trying to maintain the rest of the Cache-Control directives, using a
similar idea to ESI (http://www.edge-delivery.org/overview.html)

Basically have each component in the response have its own (sub-)set of http
headers.

So default headers would be for example, Cache-control: public,
max-age=86400, and no Vary header.

Then as the response is being built they would be altered if need, either
because of Vary, or to reduce the max-age.

Jared