to Stefanie Schweitzer <s...@ez.no>
cc ezcomponents, ezpublish

Dear Stefanie,

this morning my train tickets arrived for the trip to the developer day. - I'm
happy to see my university again!
I've some topics to propose. Some of them are important for me, others are an
offer for anybody interested. Topics interesting for me are:

- What does eZ Systems thinks about distributed version control? I did get a
  lot of positive feedback from the ecosystem on my talk at the barcelona
  conference, but not from eZ so far.

- The pros and cons of backwards compatibility.
  One of the most important guidelines for the development of eZ Components
  is backwards compatibility. We already encounter cases, where mistakes of
  the past(or suboptimal design) can not be changed, due to this guideline.
  I'd like to propose, reason and discuss two changes in policy:
  - Implement a process that allows to break backwards compatibility (e.g.
    announcing the break timely enough, deprecating code, ...)
  - Introduce an "incubator" state for new components or features of at least
    half a year before freezing the API.

- Who should own Project V?
  Typo3, Drupal et al. are owned by independent non-profit organizations. What
  are the pros and cons of a company owned project compared to this from the
  view of eZ Systems and from the view of the ecosystem?

- Non eZ Systems code maintainer
  Currently every little patch going into eZ Components (and assumable also eZ
  Publish) has to be reviewed by an eZ Systems developer. This model does not
  scale. So how can eZ Publish be as viable as other Open Source projects
  while still being of high quality? Two ideas:
  - Small core, community extensions (works for ezp, not that good for ezc)
  - educate and certify community members to authorize changes to the core

This topics of course overlap with the already proposed topics. In plus I'd be
glad to present some experiences from our first big eZ Components and MVCTools
based projects. Besides many tiny but helpful classes, we built a pipe engine
modelled after ezcWorkflow and a simple job queue.

Best regards,

Thomas