Original Sender : "Rina Hermyastuti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> --------------------------------- >Sydney Morning Herald >Wednesday, August 18, 1999 > >EAST TIMOR >Computer chaos threat to Jakarta > >By LINDSAY MURDOCH, Herald Correspondent in Dili > >A global network of computer hackers would bring Indonesia to a standstill if >Jakarta sabotaged this month's ballot on the future of East Timor, the >independence leader Mr Jose Ramos Horta said yesterday. > >Mr Ramos Horta warned of a "desperate and ferocious" international campaign >against Indonesia that included developing a dozen special viruses to infect >the country's Indonesian electronic communications systems, including >aviation. > >He told the Herald that more than 100 computer wizards, mostly teenagers in >Europe and the United States, had been preparing the plan that would bring >the world's fourth-most populous nation to a standstill for weeks. > >Banks, the stock exchange and government computer systems would be particular >targets. > >Mr Ramos Horta, the Sydney-based Nobel laureate who represents the East Timor >independence movement outside Indonesia, said he had been contacted by some >of the people planning the attack and shown what they could do. > >"They definitely have the ability to do this," he said. > >He approved of the plan if Indonesia reneged on giving the former Portuguese >colony independence if a majority of East Timorese rejected an offer of >autonomy at the vote scheduled for August 30. > >"I was very impressed," Mr Ramos Horta said of the plan. "I told them as long >as it does not affect any lives, then go for it." > >Mr Ramos Horta said he was revealing the plan to warn Indonesia that it >should not underestimate its adversaries. > >Several years ago, a hacker in Portugal managed to enter a part of the >Indonesian Government computer system that allowed him to leave "Free East >Timor" messages and download 6,000 pages of documents from the country's >Foreign Ministry. > >Mr Ramos Horta said he had told world bodies such as the UN and the World >Bank, and countries including the United States and Australia that if the >ballot was not free and fair, the conflict would continue. > >"This time, our manners will be cast aside," he said. > >But he remained confident that the worst outcome, civil war, would not >eventuate, because President B.J. Habibie and several of his key ministers >would "prevail against the hardliners". Mr Ramos Horta said East Timorese >groups and others, including wealthy Chinese in Hong Kong, had pledged >millions of dollars to "fight on our side and do whatever is necessary". His >comments follow a blunt warning on Monday from the detained independence >leader, Mr Xanana Gusmao, that his men would hunt down and kill Indonesian >soldiers who supplied weapons to pro-Jakarta militias. > >Meanwhile, the militias are telling campaign rallies in East Timor that if >the vote is for independence, the territory will plunge into civil war. > ---------------------------------------------------------------- Compu-Mania MailingList is provided by PT Centrin Utama Maintained by : [EMAIL PROTECTED] To Post a msg : Send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] To Unsubscribe : Mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] BODY : unsubscribe Compu-Mania For more information, send mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with "HELP" in the BODY of your mail (without quote). ----------------------------------------------------------------
