A good "devil" tries to win by MORE than he deserves and will
try to win in a losing position.

I have heard this terminology before and my understanding was
that a devil still plays a perfect game,  he just tries to be
deceptive about it.

I don't see any point in not playing perfect if you can unless
you are happy to play non-optimally and don't mind the chance of
getting a lesser score than you are guaranteed.

One other issue, how much does the "devil" know about his opponent?
That has everything to do with it.   You might use a much different
strategy against one player than another.

A good devil doesn't care - he will still play "perfect" while still
using  whatever tricks have a chance of working against any imperfect
opponent without compromising or taking chances.

- Don