On 30, Nov 2006, at 3:46 PM, Eduardo Sabbatella wrote:

David Doshay wrote:
Also, my data shows that if I doubled the time
allowed for playing,
thus "using" the time gained from faster execution
for doing deeper
lookahead, the results did not improve, but actually
got worse.

Sorry for not adding nothing to usefull to the thread.

But I found this comment very interesting and I would
like emphasize it.

Can you give us some details about it?

This result happened when playing "less understood opponents,"
as opposed to play against GNU Go (SlugGo's base engine).

I cannot be absolutely sure, but this is how we reasoned the result:

In these cases, decisions made based upon the deeper lookahead
were based upon boards of decreasing likelihood. A medium depth
gave the best winning percentage. A plot of winning percentage
against search depth clearly rose and then fell.

Cheers,
David