Le lundi 25 décembre 2006 00:46, Don Dailey a écrit :

> On Sun, 2006-12-24 at 13:54 -0800, David Fotland wrote:
> > There is no fixed relationship between ELO and handicap stones.  Stronger
> > players have less variation in their play, so a handicap stone is worth more
> > ELO points for a stronger player than a weaker player.
>
> What you say is consistent with what I've heard from other sources.
>
> My understanding is that in ELO terms the ranks are compressed at the
> higher levels and spread out at lower levels.  So there is less
> difference between 4 dan and 5 dan than 15 kyu and 16 kyu for
> instance.
>
> If I want to use ELO and also expect the handicaps to be fair, then
> I will need to account for this curve.

Current KGS ranking seems very close to european ranking, so stats at
http://gemma.ujf.cas.cz/~cieply/GO/statev.html can give usefull hint.

GNU and other "strong" programs are in the range 10k-6k where the stats
are rather regular, and rougly gives the follwowing winning percentage
in even games (from more than 20000 games)

           R + 1             R + 2             R + 3             R + 4
win%         44               40                30                20
Equiv-ELO   -43              -72               -149              -240

So a linear interpolation (even if it obviously not linear) gives approximately
 50 ELO == 1 handi (for this range of strenght)

> On the web I see that some ELO based GO servers assume 100 ELO is 1
> rank, and do exactly what I proposed, when they handicap they fold
> this into the ELO rating of the players for rating purposes.
So taking 100 ELO for 1 k difference seems to be a good first guess, and gives
slightly less handi than needed (this is good idea), and currently
no one knows how bot ranking will look like ...

Alain