Here's John Tromp's reply: he does not specify compensation for handicap stones
- but leaves wiggle room for the players to choose such komi as they wish.

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: John Tromp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: terry mcintyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, December 23, 2006 4:25:59 PM
Subject: Re: Compensation for handicap plays?

dear Terry,

On 12/22/06, terry mcintyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I've been following the discussion on the Computer Go list, where the question
of implementing handicaps on the CGOS server has arisen.

My reading of your Tromp-Taylor rules suggests that, when black has a handicap
of n stones, no compensation is given to white.

In my rules a handicap of n stones only means that white passes her first
n-1 turns. It does not have any implications for komi, which can still be
freely chosen.

Some other systems do compensate white.

http://www.britgo.org/rules/compare.html#comp discusses the topic.
 I must admit that I find the adjustment of komi as used in chinese and AGA
rules

rather ugly and prefer the SST and New Zealand approach to simply make the
value of handicap stones a little larger.

regards,
-John