Robert Jasiek wrote:

>executed solely by the programs versus executed by supervising
>assistance (like the programmers, software, or referees, etc.)

Thats what I suggest: "executed by supervising assistance", perfect
or not. I think its the only way. Expecting all the programs to
agree is not very realistic.

Don Dailey wrote:

>So I see no point in moving towards Japanese rules for
>computer/computer play.

That's ok. Neither do I *for the moment*. There are lots of things
to be done before. I just wanted to hear the opinion of the list
about how it could be done.

>Wouldn't it be much finer to focus our efforts on making
>the program play better?

Sure. I don't spend much time of this. Since the best
part of our research area is that we can effectively
verify our ideas by playing a game against someone else,
having a reasonable interest in the ruleset is legitimate
and, I'm sure, we all have.

Jacques.