From: Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: computer-go <computer-go@computer-go.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 9, 2007 11:36:44 AM
Subject: RE: [computer-go] Useless moves in the endgame

But is there other conditions?   Could I pass really early and
trick Mango into passing if I wanted to?

A very simple approach works like this:

  1.  When winning very convincingly in Chinese,  play quickly.
  2.  When losing convincingly,  resign.

Your opponent, when losing has 2 options.

  1.  If he is so concerned about etiquette,  he follows the
      lead of the program - he resigns.

  2.  He has the option to play it out which is his right.
      But the computer might choose to accommodates him by
      playing quickly.

There is no need to make such a fuss over how to implement
good play-out that is not rude or "unkind" if you implement
this simple thing as out-lined.     There is no need for a
human who is losing to complain about play-out - he has the
power to end it.   Likewise, the simplest protocol for the
computer is also to quit once it is sure it's losing.

Playing more quickly when winning is a kindness - not a
necessity for a program to implement - a way to be nice
to a human who wants to play it out even though he is
dead lost.   It's rude to pressure a player into stopping
if he wants to play it out.

I never understood why a human who is losing continues to
play out a game while complaining about the behavior of
the computer.   This is not a criticism of what Benjamin
said,  he made some valid points and it is interesting
to consider how a program might improve it's play-out
style as a cosmetic issue.

- Don