On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 17:13 +0100, Magnus Persson wrote:
> When I watch Valkyria analyze a 19x19 position it often goees like
> this:
>
> For the first 30 seconds or so it almost random, it does not have the
> statistical power to pick out good moves.
>
> Then it starts jump around between some moves that at least make
> sense.
>
> After 2-10 minutes it might actually pick out one or more really good
> moves
> which one would expect a 10 kyu player to play.
>
> But often it also suddenly pick a really bad move and play it so the
> descrioption above is a little idealized. Some critical move it
> actually finds
> after a few seconds so I really have to use some more flexible time
> control.

Yes, it's fun watching this process.

Here is how I think of Mogo and Gnugo by analogy:

I use to know a expert level chess player and I considered him
non-scalable.   He
loved speed-chess, always made his decisions very quickly and they were
usually
pretty good ones.    He had no use for extra time because he knew right
away
what move he wanted to play.

In tournaments I would be still in the opening and see him walking
around -  his
game was already over and he would have a big grin on his face whether
he
won or lost.   He laughed about it no matter what happened.

Gnugo reminds me of this.   It plays a pretty good move very quickly and
to a
certain extent it's decision is not reversible.

But your description of Mogo shows the opposite approach.  Mogo NEVER
knows
for sure what to play and like to keep refining it's decision making
process.
It starts out rather ignorant and indecisive,  but always remains
objective,
willing to admit it was wrong and that some other move might possibly be
better.   Give it more time and it is happy to continue checking if it
can
improve.   A very humble and thorough approach.