Are there more experimental results coming? Have you tried going
higher than 100 yet?  How much memory do you need at 100 during the
course of a 30 minute game?

On 1/19/07, Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm not sure it matters, because as I reported earlier you
can delay node expansion with hardly any effect on the strength,
and I'm requiring 100 hits before expansion.

Pruning out moves from the tree WILL weaken the program -
the question is how much?   There is a tradeoff of course.

What I am doing is pre-allocating the memory, my program
does not need to malloc or free it.   I start at zero,
and have a global counter that tells me which entry to
use next.   I use 100 hits so I don't run out of entries
for quite a while.   To "free" this memory I just reset
this global pointer to zero.

The children of a node are listed in memory sequentially,
I don't have to store separate pointer to each of them,
I just have a first child pointer (index) and a count of
the number of children.  So when I open up a new node I
find all the legal moves and use the next N available
slots to place them.  This is wasteful,  but it's dirt
simple and very fast.   Even with only 256 MB of memory
I have plenty for a pretty long search.

- Don