On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 15:22 -0600, Nick Apperson wrote:
> This is something I have been wrestling with.  It is kind of a
> theoretical question.  Assuming a program that utilizes all avaliable
> resources perfectly.  It plays the best game you could ever program it
> to play.  How fast would the computer have to be to beat a human?  I
> could see people argue that if the program had enough knowledge it
> could be a pretty slow computer (less than 100 Mhz), I could also see
> someone state the reality that our brains (when you sum up the
> computational power of an entire thinking brain) have way more
> processing power than a cluster of high performance workstations and
> so technology isn't able to provide computer hardware that would be
> fast enough.  I think I vastly underestimate the human brain, but I
> would say a computer with perfect software, 32 GB of RAM (so a lot)
> and a 300 Mhz processor (slow processor) would be able to beat a
> human.  Thoughts?

Excellent question.  So you really mean,  if God would program a
computer
to be as strong as possible would it beat humans at human-like
time-controls?

It's obvious that you can't program a 10 instruction per second computer
to beat a human - so it's also clear that there would be some minimum
level of hardware required.

I could make a guess, but I certainly don't trust my intuition here.
My guess is that God could program a core 2 duo system of today to
beat a strong human.