Ray Tayek wrote:

... I can say that I don't feel overwhelmed when playing chess.   ...
Now with Go as a beginner still, on the other hand, I almost always felt and still feel quite overwhelmed ...

yes, i usually feel this way in tournament games. and again more time will help (for some small powers of 2).
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way ;-)

i think more time works better because go has more battles going on at the same time.
Which also makes it harder when there is interplay between them.

if you are analyzing one battle, maybe more powers of two. if it's many battles, maybe fewer powers of two as you will hit your mental limit sooner.
This seems to support the idea I was trying to express...