Hi Don,

On 1/25/07, Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

That's the thought - due
> the nature of go the increases might not be linear nor consistent
> between players of different strengths.  I hesitate to venture what
> others believe, but it seems based on Ray's and Mark's and others'
> posts
> that there is a gut feeling amoung go players that this may be the
> case.
> Perhaps they care to comment further.

I think this is a case where our gut feelings are not particularly
reliable.    I've already discussed several reasons why we might be
led falsely to believe our strength is pretty much fixed, but I'll
just summarize here:

I have to admit it is sometimes getting tiresome to continue to read some of
your (in my mind) misconceptions about go, in particular when you always
continue to push them because it is such-and-such in chess etc. without ever
believing anything that some of the strong go players (some a lot stronger
than me) have to say.

I am EGF 4D. A friend of mine is EGF 6D. When I show him the opening of a
game and some moves that I have thought quite some time during the game, and
then some more time while reviewing the game -- then often he can still tell
me immediately how I have been wrong, and explain me why. But of course that
is just "undo worship of stronger players". If a 6D shows one of his games
to a pro, again the pro will be able to tell him some mistakes in direction
in judgements by only giving the game a very quick glance.

I am not sure why I am explaining this, since you will dismiss such
experience anyway due to some odd consideration that has nothing to do with
any go experience. Btw among go players around my strength I probably
believe more than most in substantial improvements by longer thinking times
- but it is still very small compared to the standard deviation of strength
among the amateur go population. (Which is a much better scale when you want
to compare strength differences for added thinking time between go and
chess, rather than ELO, in my opinion.)

Arend