On 2/5/07, Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Did you look at the games?   Sometimes there is something obvious.
For instance does it pass too early or lose games on forfeit?

Although I can't see your code, I would suspect the following
problems:

  1.  Is the eye avoid routine 100% correct?

  2.  Are the moves actually uniformly random?  You cannot just
      shuffle the list of moves for instance (without doing other
      things too.)

  3.  Make sure you are scoring the end of game correctly.

  4.  See if black is winning a lot more than white or visa versa.

For 3,  you must consider komi correctly
and you must keep stats on the wins and losses,  not on the
amount of territory for each side - that would weaken you
signficiantly.

Here is how my program scores:

   if ( (bs + bt) - (ws - wt) > komi ) then black_wins else white_wins.

  bs = black stones
  bt = black territory
  ws = white stones
  wt = white territory
  komi = integer komi (but it works with fractions too.)

- Don

I think so, but I guess I'll have to go over each of these one by one.
Can you elaborate on #2?