On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 08:59 -0500, Chris Fant wrote:
> I thought that the memory boundedness was completely fixed by not
> expanding a UCT node until it has been visited X number of times.
> Just increase X until you are no longer memory bound.  I don't recall
> anyone reporting a loss in playing strength by doing this.

There is a loss of playing strength as X grows,  but the loss
grows very slowly.

Obviously, if you set X really high, it would not build much
of a tree and it would play very weak.

I have been planning to make this dynamic in Lazarus, but I
have not done so yet.   The idea is that X starts at 1 but
when the table fills up there is a consolidation pass where
the table is rebuilt, child nodes may fold back into their
parents and X gets reset to a higher value.  As the search
proceeds this may happen a few time, perhaps doubling the
value of X each time.

In this way the program continues to scale smoothly.  There
is never a sudden out of memory wall and you can set the table
initiallly to any size that suits you.

I haven't bothered because I cannot detect a loss of strength
in values up to 100 but it's on my todo list - I know there is
a small loss of strength even if I cannot measure it.

Right now, Lazarus simply stops searching and returns a move
when this happens, but I have X set high enough that it can
think for many minutes.

- Don