On 2/11/07, Jeff Nowakowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sun, 2007-02-11 at 10:59 -0200, Mark Boon wrote:
> Don't be discouraged please. The  big-mouths don't always represent
> what the majority thinks.

The opinions expressed for not wanting to move to a forum were polite
and thoughtful.  Calling them "big-mouths" is uncalled for.  It's also
quite clear by the number of responses from different people (as opposed
to a vocal minority) that the majority does not want to move to a web
forum.

> I agree a forum would be a superior platform. The reasons against it
> I see posted cling too much to old known ways instead of being open
> to new possibilities.

I have tried web forums many times and they aren't as usable.  Something
like Slashdot works well on the web because of the sheer volume, and the
user moderation keeps it readable.  However, the typical list/newsgroup
with around 20 messages per day or less does not benefit.  It's not a
matter of clinging to old ways.  It's a matter of bsaic usability that
is lost by moving to a web page over a dedicated reader.

> There's no reason why we can't have a forum that includes an option
> of having all messages e-mailed to you and allow for posting through
> an e-mail reply. In that sense it would act the same as the current
> mailing-list for those who don't like to have any extra features.
> It's just a matter of finding one that suits our needs best.

And has already been mentioned, there's no reason why the *existing*
list can't be fed to a web forum, instead of asking people to move.  And
in fact there is already at least one such web interface that hosts this
list: gmane.

> One particular feature I've come to appreciate on forums is a
> 'recommendation' feature.

Useful for Slashdot; not so useful for a small mailing list.

> Threading of messages on the same
> subject is a very useful feature too of course.

And also available on many email clients, as has already been mentioned.

> The number of messages posted to this list is rather limited, so a
> mailing-list still works. So there's no screaming need for change.

Agreed.  The thread had died a graceful death, too.  *sigh*

> But if someone can find a good forum to act as a host instead it
> would be an improvement.

Asking people to resubscribe to a new host would not be an improvement.
Putting up a forum that seamlessly works with the existing environment
(like gmane does) would be ok.

-Jeff

Amen.

E.