On 9, Feb 2007, at 4:40 AM, Sylvain Gelly wrote:

Alain's point, that knowledge can both help narrow the search to "good"
moves and at the same time steer you away from the best move is
absolutely true in SlugGo's case.
I completely agree with that.
However can we agree that we want a better player in a whole, and not
only better in some particular positions? So perhaps, I think, behind
far from the best move, while playing always good moves is already
good no?

Sylvain

Absolutely. I notice that when SlugGo makes moves that a professional
said "look quite playable" a huge mistake is going to happen very soon.

Making the best move from the point of view of a really strong player
is also NOT what I want SlugGo to do. SlugGo has no concept of what
the implications are and what the required followup moves will be.

It is clearly better for SlugGo to make many 90% moves in a row than to
have it try to make any 100% moves. There is a much better chance of
it finding the correct followup to slightly lower quality moves.

Cheers,
David