Sylvain,

What you say is no surpise to me about the constraints.  I knew that if
you improved things, you would eventually have to improve or reduce
the constraints.

The simple question I always ask about a feature is whether the idea
is infinitely scalable.   Some idea are very good in the short term,
but in the long term form a barrier to improvement.   Of course that
doesn't mean the idea shouldn't be used because it might be helping
you.   But at some point you know your program will out-grow the
idea and then it will be holding you back.

A good example of this is piece square tables in computer chess.  It
was a wonderful way to add a lot of knowledge to a chess program
without slowing it down any.   It's based on the idea of looking
at the starting position,  making a lot of stategic decisions before
you even begin searching (by filling the table with values) and then
doing the search.   This idea has serious limitation when you search
incredibly deep,  but really worked well in the days when programs
could not search  deeply.     I think some programs still use
this today but to a lesser extent - they have adjusted accordingly
with much more dynamic evaluation.

I have this theory that if something isn't "properly scalable", then
you are probably doing it wrong - at least in an idealistic sense.
>From a practical standpoint I have no trouble doing these non-scalable
things if there is no obvious scalable solution that can give me the
same
short-term improvement.

AnchorMan is a clear example of this non-scalable approach.  A hackery
of non-scalable patches to try to stop it from playing the ugliest of
moves!

- Don