> I like to think that MoGo deliberately beats such people by
> half a point, so as to annoy them more  :-)

this isn't uncommon in teaching games -- the idea (i think) is to
give the student opportunities to make good moves, providing them
with opportunities to learn through good play, rather than winning by
the maximum margin possible, where they may not even be able to
understand their own bad moves or their opponent's good moves.

of course, making the realization that you're playing against someone
who can win by 0.5 points at will is pretty frightening.

s.