> Similarly, most kinds of endgame skill essentially vanish on a 4x4
> board:

Yes, my thesis crumbles on the tiny boards: I think 9x9 is the smallest
board size where 19x19 playing strength is very significant. (Endgame
skill is important at 9x9: I've found games where a mid-dan player has
lost to a high-dan player by making a 1pt mistake in the last 10 moves.)

> influence seem likely to change significantly. But as I said, I doubt
> that is what the original unnamed poster was talking about.

If you missed the start of this thread, the first two messages were in
the Mogo thread: a post by Jacques Basaldua (asking what is meant by a
9x9 professional), and a reply by me.

Darren