> I have this idea that perhaps a good evaluation function could
> replace the play-out portion of the UCT programs.

I thought about something similar but only for initializing the
counters: introduce 10 fake playouts and estimate the number of
wins by a function returning something in [0, 10]. After that,
use UCT with real playouts.

If your guess was right, that should improve performance, but if
it was wrong you are doing nothing irreversible except loosing
time.

Another option is to replace the playout by a partial playout followed
by a static evaluation, which would probably be deterministic (that's
acceptable since the partial playout introduced plenty of
non-determinism).