On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 02:58:25PM -0400, Don Dailey wrote:

> I still have this horrible fear that 9x9 would suffer if several
> programs moved over to 19x19.   Or perhaps BOTH would suffer from a lack
> of a variety of competition.

I see your point.

> What might be useful is if there was an organized system of volunteers
> who might be willing to run an instance of your program on request for a
> few days?

Let me be the first one to volunteer for that. I have a dual-core AMD-64
as my workstation, and as long as I have to be at the office every day,
it has lots of unused cpu power... The next few days I may be running
my Halgo on it, but I'm sure it can handle another program without me
noticing any ill effects.

> CGOS has not been particularly stable until just recently.   I fixed a
> bug about 10 days ago and it has been running without a problem since
> then, so I think it's reasonably stable now.    I was not willing to
> think about another server until I can be sure that it's possible to run
> for weeks in a row without bugs.

I know the feeling - I am as much a sysadmin as a programmer by
profession, and have great understanding about not putting code into
production settings before it is ready for it.

> But maybe the time is just about right.

Maybe - your decision!

   -Heikki

--
Heikki Levanto   "In Murphy We Turst"     heikki (at) lsd (dot) dk