>From the www page, this python effort actually does use Lukasz' libraries for
>efficiency.

From: Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I don't believe this is a truly workable model.  It's often stated  as a
fundamental working model (especially for language advocates of tcl,
ruby, python, etc.)  but in practice I have found it difficult at best.
At least if your are looking for a high performance program.   It's a
nice way to get a little performance without too much work - but it's
usually far from optimal.

I think a better model, if you want to write a program in Python or some
other high level interpreted language,  is to build a core set of low
level routines that are really efficient for C (or assembly.)     Then
as you add higher level stuff you can decide whether to code in C or
Python.    In other words, you fundamentally have an underlying C coded
program, not the other way around.  The data structures are designed to
be fast and efficient.    Something like that might be possible with
Lukasz library for instance.

Most libraries that Python and other high level languages use started
out as C libraries and were wrapped up to be used with high level
languages.   But if you know in advance that you are going to do this,
you can probably do a nicer job making it work well as a package for
that language.

It would be fun designing a low level library.   Each person might
implement it differently and you might find that one library does some
things better than another library and you would experiment to find the
one that worked best with your own program.

- Don