Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:30:55 -0400
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Question regarding archives and avoiding spam

Hi,

I recently subscribed to the computer-go mailing list, and I'd really like
to join some of the discussions, but I noticed that on the archives (
http://computer-go.org/pipermail/computer-go/) only simple email obfuscation
is used. For example "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" would appear as "johndoe at
yahoo.com".

I am afraid to post to the list, because this kind of obfuscation supposedly
makes it even easier for spammers to find my email address online. You
cannot search for the character @ on google, but if you search for "* at
*.com" you get millions of results. And more specifically if you perform the
following search: "site:http://computer-go.org/pipermail/computer-go/ * at
*.com" then you get a lot of the email addresses of people who post to the
computer go list. Also please see the following article on this subject:
http://typewriting.org/2006/06/19/Email_Obfuscation_Helps_Spammers/

Is it possible to remove email addresses from future archives or find a
better obfuscation scheme? Or is there some personal setting I can adjust
that hides my email address?

Best regards,