I don't think so - with a basic time x and a per-more time y you can freely adjust the fischer time setting to both short games and games where there's more time in the beginning.

Regards,
Benjamin

Antonin Lucas schrieb:

    (I agree that Fischer time is superior for go, but it may take a long
    while until it gains acceptance.)

    Arend

The thing with Go is that typically moves that require long thinking times are among the first hundred, i.e. fuseki and chuban. The last 150 moves of a typical go games, the yose, require much less thinking time for a human (but can't be done instantaneously, which is a problem with sudden death : you can't play the whole yose in less than three or four minutes, on a real goban).

Fischer timing would lead to huge amount of time being hoarded for the endgame, but leave less time in the thinking intensive, more interesting beginning. Pros on 8-hours game sometime spend a whole hour on a single move, and reach byoyomi by move 100.

There is also for amateur tournaments the question of practicality : canadian or byoyomi overtime allow for relatively stable game length, whereas fischer time allowing time buildup might lead to much longer games, making it hard to have many rounds played in a day.

Antonin