On 11, Jul 2007, at 3:47 AM, Jacques BasaldĂșa wrote:

I feel disappointed when the explanation I get for
a best move is "after x millions of simulated matches it proved to be the best". If it is well done, I believe it, but I don't like it because
I cannot verify it by myself. Such a program will not improve my play
because it will not tell me what I do wrong or how I can improve. As
a user, I would rather pay for a program that makes me improve my play
than for the best program that only tells me moves are "simulation gospel".

On the other hand, I can imagine an old go sensei ...

Having taken lessons from a few somewhat younger Go senseis, I can
say that I was equally disappointed when told "This move is not good.
It is refuted by this line of play. This line of play is better." We all know
about the combinatoric explosion in Go with respect to future lines of
play. I might easily be able to believe that they are right, but having
them simply tell me that they found a better line of play never did help
me find it in my own games.

Cheers,
David