I know Hsu from my computer chess days.    Of course most of us probably
realize he was on the Deep Blue team.

I think he is betting on null move proving - but I'm real skeptical that
it will be effective in Computer Go.   It will indeed reduce the tree
significantly, but this comes at a qualitative price that is not so bad
in Chess but is a lot in Go.

I would like to see that kind of hardware (which was described in the
article) applied to 19x19 GO using UCT combined with more research on
UCT, that could produce something that plays in the Dan range, although
I'm very skeptical it will be in the "high Dan" range, certainly not the
stronger than any human player.

Having said that,  one must be very careful about making predictions,
lest one ends up with egg on their face.  Computer chess started with
wild optimism, then extreme pessimism then big surprise!  I clearly
remember the days when it was ludicrous to imagine chess computers ever
touching even the weak masters.  It was just not possible and a simple
calculation on a paper napkin proved that it could never happen.  Woops!
 In those days you were considered an idealistic fool if you were
optimistic but it turns out the optimistic ones were the most realistic
and the ones who were objectively "reasonable" and pragmatic were the
fools.

I never did scaling experiments on 19x19 with UCT, but I have no reason
to believe it would not show the same amazing scaling curve.   Lazarus
is so weak at 19x19 that it would take a few doublings of speed to get
competitive with reasonably good programs.

Has anyone else done scaling experiments with 19x19 and UCT?

- - Don