It come from me ;-)

This was a sequel of the first brute force I have used. I must start it
with a number, and it search from this one the first number bigger that
doesn't violate the violate the tests, add it to the list and repeat
this until it have enough numbers. This implementation was very slow and
starting with a higher number than 1 improve a bit performance.

The next version used a bitfield to track all numbers that will violate
the law according to the previously generated numbers and just scan it
to find the next, add it to the set and update the bitfield.

But this type of brute force search will not found (and doesn't have)
the optimal sequence, because it never go back.

Tom

On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 03:44:56PM -0500, Chris Fant wrote:
> On Nov 15, 2007 3:20 PM, Eric Boesch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 11/14/07, Chris Fant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Based on more recent emails, this may not be useful anymore, but I
> > > have a list of 361 32-bit numbers that satisfy these properties in
> > > case anyone is interested.
> >
> > I'd be interested in your implementation tricks. Where did the number
> > 17 come from?
>
> 17 didn't come from me.  Here's how I made my list:
>
> Start with 500 random numbers.
> Throw out the ones that violate the tests.
> Hope that you are left with enough (361).
>
> This actually worked all the way down to 15-bit numbers.

Thomas Lavergne                       "Le vrai rêveur est celui qui rêve
                                       de l'impossible."  (Elsa Triolet)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                           http://reveurs.org