On Nov 27, 2007 1:58 PM, Stuart A. Yeates <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Could you give us a quick reference for exactly _which_ Euler numbers
> you're using? Wikipedia has three separate ones and the MathWorld site
> a similiar number.

I cannot speak for Don, but in the work on solving Go I calculated the
zeros-joined Euler number from independent bitmaps for Black and White
with the border set to zero. IIRC half-joined and ones-joined
performed worse (in the sense that the tree got bigger). An
interesting alternative may be to combine colours so that the
quad-counts directly use all the local information (that way, e.g.,
the diagonal miai-connection can be distinguished from one where the
opponent is interfering). Back in 2002 I did not use this because the
binary version has a smaller lookup table.

The ICGA article contains a bit less information than my thesis. E.g.,
an explanation of the Euler numbers can be found on page 28 of the
thesis. Here's a link:

http://erikvanderwerf.tengen.nl/publications.html

Erik