> There is something that the latest Monte Carlo programs have in common
> with the best chess programs - and seems to be the right way to
> structure a game tree search.    Your selectivity should be
> progressive.     In order to do this correctly you must re-visit nodes
> many times.  Chess programs do it iteratively and Monte Carlo UCT type
> programs do it "best first" fashion.  So the decision to prune any given
> move is a decision that is considered many times in the course of a
> search - each time taking advantage of additional information.

I think Monte-Carlo is more attempting solve a different issue
altogether. Sure it is a search tree buyt main problem is the
evaluation function. Currently we do not know any good way to evaluate
the situation on go board until the game is at very late stages. And I
think  - not that I could support this with any testing - that most of
the current evaluation function would not play better if they had
deeper global search and actually may play worse with wider global
search.

Relatively speaking chess eval of adding piece values together and
doing nothing else is far closer to optimal evaluation function that
what is currently available in Go.

Also there is not much published information evaluation functions in
Go. Obviously a go programming is a business and giving out such
information does not make sense. Best publicly available thingy is
GnuGo and it does not even have one.

Any simplistic Go-veal would probably result in very bad choices in
early stages of game - like playing on second row without proper
reason. So selective search is part of eval. And this shortcoming is
pretty obvious in MC programs. when they play on full sized board they
make extremely funny moves and so good result against humans only in
ultra-blitz conditions - humans scale better I guess.

Petri
--
Petri Pitkänen
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]