stomp on it before it wreaks more havoc.

From: Nick Wedd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>In serious tournament go the convention is that you lose immediately.
>
>(I haven't heard of a case of someone playing a stone of the wrong
 colour in
>such a tournament, but certainly playing a move forbidden by the ko
 rule
>forfeits the game).

It may depend what you mean by "serious tournament".

In one of the British Championship Match games, a bit over ten years
ago, Zhang Shutai made an illegal ko move against Matthew Macfadyen,
 and
immediately conceded that he had lost the game.

In the "Candidates' Tournament", a preliminary round for the British
Championship, last year. I observed a player play a stone of the wrong
colour.  The players had no doubt about the correct action:  the stone
was removed from the board and replaced by one of the correct colour.