In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, terry mcintyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
----- Original Message ----
From: Rémi Coulom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

For instance, against computers, I estimate that Crazy Stone improved
about 3 stones between this summer and now. But it clearly did not
improve 3 stones on KGS. I vaguely remember that Sylvain also noticed
that MoGo could beat GNU go with a 4-stone handicap, but was only 2
stones stronger than GNU on KGS.

We human players have a nasty habit of adapting to the weaknesses of
programs, and patching our own. I played a program
which totally does not know the Chinese opening. I always wind up
playing five large fuseki points, as it slowly plays five stones all
on one side of the board. No matter how often I beat it, it will not
adapt. Whereas, if a human player gets hit on the head often enough,
he'll try something different.

I'll bet that if someone ever does write a go-playing program that adapts its play in the light of what happens in the games it plays, I'll eventually be able to train it to make some _really_ bad moves.

Nick

This may account for improving versus another program, but not so much
versus humans.  The weaknesses of your computer opponents are more
consistent.
it now.