So far I played these MC programs at it seems they are doing well
against humans mostly because the moves they play are bizarre and some
times throw unreasonable contact fight challenges. They win more often
than they deserve just because many weak players (like KGS 4k level
players are) quite often panic and start making ever funnier moves
than they do usually.

Point is that being tactically challenged is rather common amongst
weaker players but as get to higher ranks it gets rather rare quality.
And MC programs simply suck tactically and adding more simulations
gives very little gain for amount of CPU spent. The full board usage
may getter better faster.

Even top MC programs fail to see  that a group with 3 liberties with
no eyes is dead. So by doubling the simulations it would now fail on 4
liberties instead of 3?  How many fold the simulation count would have
to understand 2-eye concept? I am pretty sure that 32 fold increase
will not do that, but obviously there is amount of doublings that will
do the trick. Question is will that happen on our lifetimes. Or will
the next generation be some sort of hybrid approach?

Petri
--
Petri Pitkänen
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]