ivan dubois wrote:
> I think there is some missconception about this "infinite scalability of MC"
> stuff.

There is no misconception.  This is clearly a PRACTICAL concept.

> Theory is only usefull when the model it is based on shares important aspects
> with reality.

Which it does clearly.

> In theory, 19*19 Go is a finite game, wich can be analysed in a finite amount
> of time. So ANY algorithm that solves the game at some point is, in theory,
> infinitely scalable. For example, the folowing algorithm is infinitely
> scalable :
>     Analyse the complete mini-max tree of the game. If enough time to finish,
> returns the correct move, if not, return a random move.
>
> Now, is this algorithm really scalable, in practive ? Of course not.

This is not a scalable algorithm,  it only solves the game and it takes
too long for that.    Put an evaluation function and iterative deepening
and it's an example of an algorithm that scales, but very poorly.
(Unless it's really implemented well with alpha/beta, progressive
selectivity, excellent evaluation, etc.)

> I support the idea that MC is infinitely scalable (in the reality) ONLY if
> the play-out part does not have severe misconceptions.
That's not the definition of infinite scalability.    You seem to
believe that infinite scalability is suppose to mean that it plays
perfectly with a few seconds of thinking time.     Infinite scalability
simply means you can add a modest amount of time and expect to see a
tangible (we are talking reality here) improvement.     Nobody seriously
expects perfect play with a few minutes of thinking and you are way off
base if you thought that.

> So i think that currently, only MC based on uniform playouts is infinitely
> scalable.

I don't know what you mean by that,  but heavy play-outs will ALWAYS
outperform uniform random play-outs and any number of play-outs.
Unless the heavy play-outs are actually horrible wrong, but I'm talking
about anything proven to be superior at low levels such as the heavy
play-outs of every MC program today.