Don Dailey wrote:
They seem under-rated to me also.   Bayeselo pushes the ratings together
because that is apparently a valid initial assumption.   With enough
games I believe that effect goes away.

I could test that theory with some work.    Unless there is a way to
turn that off in bayelo (I don't see it) I could rate them with my own
program.

Perhaps I will do that test.

- Don
The factor that pushes ratings together is the prior virtual draws between opponents. You can remove or reduce this factor with the "prior" command. (before the "mm" command, you can run "prior 0" or "prior 0.1"). This command indicates the number of virtual draws. If I remember correctly, the default is 3. You may get convergence problem if you set the prior to 0 and one player has 100% wins.

The effect of the prior should vanish as the number of games grows. But if the winning rate is close to 100%, it may take a lot of games before the effect of these 3 virtual draws becomes small. It is not possible to reasonably measure rating differences when the winning rate is close to 100% anyway.

Instead of playing UCT bot vs UCT bot, I am thinking about running a scaling experiment against humans on KGS. I'll probably start with 2k, 8k, 16k, and 32k playouts.

Rémi