On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 10:54 AM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  I got excited about the free software sometime ago and bought a copy of
> Susie Linux. But the installation always hang up at some point and can never
> complete.

I too have had some horrible linux installation nightmares.  Most of that
was either from a really old linux (when it was less mature) or flaky
hardware that caused intermittent problems in Windows (but severe issues for
linux)

> I had to kiss my $20 goodbye and so much for the Linux. Recently my job
> involves embedded Linux. For whatever reason we used the Fedora version 4.
> It looks like the Windows 3.1. The newest version may be more modernized,
> which I don't have tme to fnd out. The Linux operatng system is about 600
> Mbyte compressed.

Embedded linux?  That may not be the most user friendly thing to try.

> Since we have a fast internet, it took only 40 min. to download. After
> downloading we needed to find a software that can write ISO format on CDs. I
> failed to find such a software on the internet and ended up use the trial
> version of Nero. Then the Nero I installed highjacked my CD drive and I had
> to unnstall it later.

The ISO thing is quite annoying.  I've hit that too.  The really sad thing
is that an ISO image is a litteral bit for bit copy of a CD and should be
the simplest possible thing to burn.  It avoids all sorts of subtle problems
with burning files.  In linux, you can even mount an iso image and use it
directly without a cd drive...

> I also tried the 64-bit version of Linux and the installation never
> worked.
>
> I begin to consder install Linux on my PC at home. With my internet
> connection speed, downloading 600 MB is just unrealistic. The other option
> is to order CD's. They cost $45 and up and I'm sure this cost will go up
> with time. So much for the free software. I keeps asking myself what will
> happen if the installation fails. I only have one computer and one internet
> connection.
>
> Not that I don't trust other people's opinion, but people pitched other
> things before which we never hear again.

I have no idea what you're talking about here.  I will say that when you get
past the issue of getting a burned CD, there are some really nice
distributions out there.  My recent experience is with RedHat, Mandriva, and
Ubuntu.  So far, I like Ubunutu the best and would recommend it for new
users to linux.

It may be a catch 22, but under linux, it's trivial to find iso-burning
software ;)