--- Gian-Carlo Pascutto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Martin Møller Skarbiniks Pedersen wrote:
>
> >> Since I sell software, building Linux apps is out
> of the question, since
> >> Linux users will insist that  I give them my work
> for free.
> >
> > OK ? Many companies creates linux software and
> make a good living.
> > Sendmail is one of them.
>
> They don't make a living off creating the software.
> They make a living
> of selling support and appliances.
>
> Unfortunately I don't know how to sell support for
> my Go program, but I
> am open to ideas.

A program which runs on Linux need not be open-source.
It can be sold just as any executable for Windows.

As for support, you can sell upgrades to the program
and database. If you have a set of problems, or
professional games, you can sell the 2009 and 2010
upgrades to these. You can also sell the 2009 and 2010
updates to the algorithm.

Like any other software, Windows or Mac or Linux, some
people will pay and some will not. All executables can
be copied, and some people do so; but there are people
who choose to support the producers wherever possible.

I suspect that it would be possible for a good team
with a good idea to obtain some support from a
manufacturer of computer clusters. IBM at one time
spent millions on the Deep Blue Chess Engine - not
with the intent to sell the Chess Engine itself, but
for the publicity value and as a testbed for new
engineering ideas. Maybe it is possible to gain
corporate backing for the next tough AI challenge, the
game of Go?

Terry McIntyre &lt;[EMAIL PROTECTED]&gt;

“Wherever is found what is called a paternal government, there is found state
education. It has been discovered that the best way to insure implicit
obedience is to commence tyranny in the nursery.”

Benjamin Disraeli, Speech in the House of Commons [June 15, 1874]