On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 22:33 +0200, Gian-Carlo Pascutto wrote:
> Do you claim it's possible to avoid time losses by better coding? If so,
> I'm very interested in what you have in mind. Measuring lag isn't the
> answer: if your opponent is willing to play 2500 moves and you can make
> at most 2 per second because of lag, then you will lose no matter what
> you do.

There's only 361 points on a 19x19 board -- if it took you half a second
to move you could fill the board in 3 minutes.  Of course you don't need
to fill your own eyes, nor do you need to capture the opponents pieces
if you have enough points to win without capturing.  So not allowing
suicide shortens the game even further.

So yes, I claim you can avoid time losses if you only have a moderate
amount of lag -- on the order of hundreds of milliseconds per move.  If
there isn't enough time to complete the game with uncooperative
opponents then the games should be made a few minutes longer.  18
minutes absolute is kind of short for 19x19...

> If I would take the reverse stance and make Leela move very fast on KGS
> and always dispute and continue games as long as possible, then I think
> it would not last a week without being banned.

Actually, I've seen some really poor bots on KGS that didn't know how to
pass.  They weren't banned and were generally used for play by
beginners.  They won't get too many repeat customers if people don't
like playing them -- so it's a self-limiting problem.

But anyways, we're talking about computer Go tournaments, where many of
the programs aren't that smart or written for etiquette, nor should they
have to be because the rules allow for a timely end to the game as well
as automated scoring at the end.

-Jeff