From: Don Dailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: computer-go <computer-go@computer-go.org>
Sent: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 12:54 pm
Subject: [computer-go] CGOS server boardsize

There has been some discussion about which additional board sizes to use
for the server once it is running.

Of course running all 3 board sizes is a possibility now that we will
have server space,  but my fear all along has been that they will kill
each other.  There is something to be said about numbers and you want as
many programs as possible playing on the server you want to test on.

Instead of asking for a lot of opinions however, I think it makes sense
to put all 3 servers up and see what happens for a while.   In other
words you will vote with your participation.   I think we will see that
programs will gravitate more towards one server than another and I don't
know which one that will be.   If they all get reasonable usage I will
leave them all up,  but if one tends to get very little usage, I will
bring it down later.   I'll let them all stay up for a reasonable length
of time.

So there will be 9x9, 13x13 and 19x19, at least for the first month or
so, depending on usage.

For time controls,  I have changed my previous position, I think I
prefer somewhat faster time controls.   There are disadvantages but
almost many advantages.  The foremost advantages is that I believe it
encourages participation,  more programs are likely to test on the
server if they do not have to wait unduly long for solid results.
Another advantage is that the games are more fun to watch.

Right now, the time control for 9x9 assuming the average number of moves
is roughly equivalent to the number of points on the board is about 3.7
seconds per move or 5 minutes.  Using this same exact reasoning if we
try to match the same rate of play per move we have this table:

  9x9  - 300 seconds or 5 minutes
 13x13 - 625 seconds or 10 minutes, 18 seconds.
 19x19 - 1336 seconds or 22 minutes, 16 seconds per move.

There is no particular reason that the time control has to be in
multiples of 5 minutes except that we humans seems to be offended if
things are rounded nicely for us.

So we could accept those values as is, or we could ro
und it to what to
our sensibilities seems somehow more "normal" and use 5 minutes 10
minutes and 20 minutes for 9x9, 13x13 and 19x19 respectively.

If we want to speed things up a bit, we might consider going from 3.7
seconds per move to 2.5 seconds per move.   This gives the following
approximate table:

  9x9   -  202.5 seconds  or 3 minutes, 22 seconds
 13x13  -  422.5 seconds  or 7 minutes 2 seconds
 19x19  -  902.5 seconds  or 15 minutes 2 seconds

These could be rounded to 3 minutes, 7 minutes and 15 minutes or kept as
is.

There is some argument for making the bigger boards play faster based on
the notion that you SHOULD play faster since the game will have a lot
more moves in it.

In this case, the time control could be set the same for all board
sizes, perhaps 15 minutes per game or even 10 minutes per game.  There
is some appeal to having this kind of consistency, but of course the
quality of the games on the big boards would suffer accordingly.  Of
course we don't care about absolute quality since we are testing
programs against each other and we accept that they play much better at
longer time controls.

But we could set the average time per move faster if we were not
comfortable with just making them all the same.   We could do something
like 5, 10, 15 or something like that.

In addition to the time control, there is currently a 0.75 second gift
which is configurable.  The gift makes it possible for some programs
with high latency connection issues to finish ridiculously long games
without defaulting on time despite the fact that they are playing
instantly.   So fast time controls shouldn't be dominated by network
speed considerations.

My current default choice is:

   9x9 - 5 minutes.  (to keep it the same as it is.)
 13x13 - 10 minutes.
 19x19 - 15 or 20 minutes.

Feedback?