For your information.

Peter Drake
http://www.lclark.edu/~drake/

Begin forwarded message:

From: Aaron Fellin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: August 2, 2008 1:04:26 PM PDT
To: Barton C Massey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peter Drake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Go Tourney next week

Wow, I didn't realize this email was going to be so long when I started. That's probably a result of me attempting to err on the side of completeness wherever possible. The first section is a recap of where we stand from a technical standpoint; the second section is a mix of things that will be important on Monday morning (or before). The last part of this is a rundown of different ways
to get ahold of MCECS Support (aka, TheCAT).

- Aaron

Technical stuff:
It looks like we've got everything set up for the connection to the go server and I've tested with the one go computer program that we've received. There is a wrapper installed as /usr/bin/kgsGtp on the linux lab computers that they can use to start the program. It sounds like the people running the go bots know how to connect using a config file for this program, so all should be well on that
front (if all else fails, try /usr/bin/kgsGtp -help).

I was able to connect to the kgs go server with the one go computer we've got. As far as I know, it was working correctly, but I never got it to play a game against me. The program to watch the games is just a java web start link, so that will work on all our linux and windows computers. In addition, the web site
has an applet version of it that will work.

The last I've heard from the Wintel team is that they will have a minimally loaded windows computer available in the lab. I made sure to tell them that you will need java and java web start for the tournament, so that'll be installed on it (the things they don't install will likely be Adobe Acrobat, Office, et
cetera).

On the day of:
There is to be no food and drink in the lab. There is a table near the door of the lab to hold food and drink. In order to keep the door from being propped open and our campus security folks getting paged, we've moved the table into the lab; our no food and drink policy is being stretched to its limit for the tournament.

Users with their own hardware will need to register their hardware as laptops on our network. The url is https://intranet.cecs.pdx.edu/network/ laptops . They should log in with the guest accounts. Once the "laptops" are registered, any laptop jack in the lab (there are 5 or 6) will work within about 20 minutes. Two of those jacks are the ones next to where we decided the mac mini cluster will probably fit best. The url for laptop registration is written on the whiteboard
in the lab.

There are three tables set up for laptops/other hardware near the back of the room. One of them has a plugged in surge strip mounted to the underside so you won't have to climb under the table to plug hardware in. Unfortunately, under and behind the table is where the laptop jacks are, so networking cables will still require some spelunking. I'm guessing those cables will be unplugged from the
wall less often than power cables, though.

The last I've heard is that there will be a CAT with sufficient access to install libraries on the linux boxes and tweak the networking should anything fail on Monday morning (I make no guarantee against faulty cables in the wiring closet). I do not believe that anyone from the windows team with sufficient access will be available on site first thing Monday morning. There is a general user support person scheduled on the front desk at 8am as well; they may be able
to assist with some general troubleshooting.

Ways to get ahold of user support (in the middle of the night):

From online, probably the most efficient way to contact us is over IRC. irc.cat.pdx.edu is our IRC server and #support is our general user support channel. If things break in the middle of the night, this is probably one of the fastest ways to get ahold of people if there happens to be any one staying up
late.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] will email the entire support staff. Because of the delay in email, this is probably not as ideal for urgent troubleshooting, but is not a
bad way to contact us by any means.

FAB 60-06 is our main front desk. I don't think we actually went there on Friday, but Bart at least should know where this is. It can be a bit of a hike from the lab, unfortunately. The desk is generally staffed from 9am to 6pm; hours are at http://www.cat.pdx.edu/fab_60-06_schedule.html . While I won't guarantee that cell phones will work near the lab, the desk phone is (503) 725-5420. The CS tutors are available just down the hall from the lab from 11am to 6pm daily; if you get lost, they can help with directions to the main CAT front desk.

--
Aaron Fellin, eXVI DROOG/HISS basic, pgp key: 0x0138C0839 @ pgp.mit.edu Computer Science Tutor Coordinator, [EMAIL PROTECTED], (503) 725-4056, fab C88-01 Computer Action Team, [EMAIL PROTECTED], (503) 725-5420, fab60-06, eb325a
http://www.cat.pdx.edu/tutors.html