That's a good way of putting it. AFAIK, Mogo has nothing comparable to the
long-term memory of human players; each time it approaches a given joseki, it
must recompute the right play from scratch.

Aeons ago, I read a few papers by cognitive scientists at CMU - Newell and
Simon, if memory serves - who looked for ways to "chunk" bits of knowledge in
order to speed processing. Their theory was that, with practice, humans build
chunks which encapsulate their experience into more efficient models.

Hats off to those who posited that the problem really is scalable. I admit to
having been sceptical -- I believed there were some inherent problems which
would limit the degree of scalability. Evidently, given enough time and
processor power, programs like Mogo really can and do achieve dan-level play on
a 19x19 board.

<eagerly awating the day when my desktop computer has that power>

Terry McIntyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

“Wherever is found what is called a paternal government, there is found state
education. It has been discovered that the best way to insure implicit
obedience is to commence tyranny in the nursery.”

Benjamin Disraeli, Speech in the House of Commons [June 15, 1874]