On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 4:57 AM, David Fotland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In late september there is a computer go contest in Taizhou, with cash
> prizes.  They might cancel this contest due to lack of participation, so if
> you are thinking of going, please let them know today or tomorrow.
>
> David
>
> From: ?? [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> This email is an invitation letter from the Institute of Computer GO at
> Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications, we've got your email
> from the submission list of 2008 Conference of Computer Games and World 9*9
> Computer Go Championship.
>
> We are happy to announce that an international computer GO championship is
> to be hosted by Taizhou city government and Beijing University of Posts and
> Telecommunications. As 2008 Conference of Computer Games and World World 9*9
> Computer Go Championship will be held in Beijng this year, so we have time
> for the game in this tournament before (September 22-26), to facilitate your
> itinerary.
>
> This event does not require registration fee, and your the board and lodging
> in Taizhou will be provided freely  by the organizing committee, so you only
> need to predate your China's trip one-week earlier, and the first
> destination to be revised as Taizhou. If there is any problem on how to
> reach Taizhou, we can provide some help. If you are willing to participate
> in the tournament, only need to reply to this email, we will contact you.
>
> 2008 TaiZhou Computer Go Championship
>
> 1. The number of participating countries and regions: 20 countries and
> regions, including China and the China Taipei. In accordance with the
> relevant provisions of BOCOG, The participating teams and all staff from
> China Taiwan use "Chinese Taipei" title.
> 2. The number of entries: 50
> 3. Competition schedule: September 22 to September 26
>  a. 9/22: receiption
>  b. 9/23: a round robin preliminaries way
>  c. 9/24: a round robin preliminaries way
>  d. 9/25: a round robin preliminaries way
>  e. 9/26: Final championship matches, and man-machine matches, award
> ceremonies 4. Prize competition
>  19x19 Go:
>  First place,  3,000 USD
>  Second place, 2,000 USD
>  Third place, 1,000 USD
>  Fourth place, 500 USD
>  Fifth place,  250 USD
>
>  9x9 Go:
>  First place, 2,000 USD.
>  Second place, 1,000 USD
>  Third place, 500 USD
>  Fourth place, 250 USD
>

> --
> Zhiqing Liu, Ph.D.
> Professor, School of Software Engineering Director, BUPT-JD Computer GO
> Research Institute Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications
> Voice: +86-10-6228-2601 and +86-10-5882-8089
> Fax: +86-10-6228-2601 and +86-10-5882-8005
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I already booked my flights; Steenvreter will only participate in the
official ICGA events.

Personally I think it is bad to have 3 competing tournaments so close
to each other. I must say that I'm quite puzzled by the behavior of
the local organizers in China. In my opinion, instead of running yet
another tournament, professor Liu should have tried to supported the
ICGA events with sponsorship for the Go competitions just as was done
for the Chess tournament.

Erik