Don Dailey wrote:
Are you speculating that if enough play-outs are done,  the idea might
prove to be superior?    I never actually considered that.   So perhaps
with 5000 playouts using the win/loss score wins,  but at 50,000 using
the margin might be better?   This is easy to test with simple MC go
programs.    If I get a chance I will test it for you (since you do not
have a program of your own) and report the results.   I'm not holding my
breath however ...

Indeed, that was my /guess/. And one aimed at rationalizing why this particular idea might somehow work. It might well be that something else is needed to utilize the score difference after a play-out, or it might be that it really is worthless... Without a much deeper understanding (in a mathematical sense, not a player-skill sense*) of go, I don't see how we can find out which ideas really can't work.