On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 19:40 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> After reading up a bit on this issue, I didn't find a clear positive
> consensus in this list about a preferred ruleset for computer-go,
> human-computer-go, real life go and go servers.
> (I did find a negative consensus about the current Japanese rules,
> though)
>
> I'm curious if there exists a positive consensus about a
> particular ruleset from the point of view of a go software user who is
> also very familiar with real life go playing (so not from a
> mathematical or pedagogical point of view, but from the point of view
> of a go player playing on a server and/or playing against a bot). This
> user could prefer area counting or territory counting.

I think the current rules CGOS uses are pretty popular for CGOS and I
think it's what you get with KGS games played under Chinese rules too.

CGOS rules are basically Tromp/Taylor rules but where suicide is
forbidden.   Suicide makes the game slightly less practical, especially
for computers (but it's not a big deal.)     Other than that
Tromp/Taylor rules shine because they are very intuitively simple to
learn and state.   Just simple and clean.

I'm not an expert on AGA rules but I think it's almost the same.  There
are tons of simple rule variations, the kind of ko to use, whether to
use suicide or not,  how many passes to end the game, scoring system,
how to deal with handicaps, which komi to use, etc.

I think Japanese hurts the game, but even if we confine ourselves to
Chinese it hurts the game that there are so many variations of the
rules.    You cannot really play a game without first negotiating which
rules you will be using.

- Don