>It's pretty tricky doing anything very clever without slowing things
>down a lot.   But I am highly interested because I want to build a
>stronger Ogo type of program for handheld devices.

Here's a suggestion: some mobile devices have volume-bound
communication tariffs (internet or text messaging), and Go protocols
are low-volume. So you could run a strong engine on your home
machine, and add a mobile front-end for it. If your tariff is limited
to small numbers of free/inclusive text messages, you might want to
pre-compute several possible moves on the server and send tree
fragments (rather than individual moves) to the mobile, for local
execution/selection. Of course, even if you can stay within the
cheap communications window, you might want to check which
of communication and computation is going to run down the
battery sooner..

Claus

Ps. The suggestion is free. But if any of the commercial authors likes
    the idea enough to add it to their program, perhaps they could
    provide me with access to a free copy of their software in return?-)